Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Feline Lung-Digit Disease-Have You Ever Hear of it? Neither Did I Until My Cat Died Because of It....

UPDATED Links below as of 6/1/19:
Image result for feline-lung digit disease

Cat lovers, have you ever heard of Feline Lung-Digit Lung Disease? No. Don't be surprised. Neither did I until my 14 yr old furry baby kitty named Charlie came down with it. It was out of the blue. I take pride in the fact that I take great care of my furry babies. I'm always checking them out, observing them and taking them to the vet for check-ups and blood work. I don't skimp on their care or their foods. That is why this disease took me by my surprise. It all started so simply, too. So innocent. True cancer. 
            Charlie was a happy, friendly soul who loved everyone, animal or human.
Charlie had always been a healthy cat. He adopted us several years earlier in 1997 when he wandered onto our porch when we lived in Colorado. We began feeding him and he always returned. Finally, we took a chance and let him into our home everyday for a hour or two for a week to see how he would behave and how he and our two girl house cats would get along. He was no problem. The girl cats followed him everywhere. After a week, we adopted him. We took him to the veterinarian for a checkup, vaccinations, getting neutered and needed extensive teeth cleaning and two bad teeth had to be removed. He was just about one and a half years old.
       
The little sore on Charlie that began it all.    
                One afternoon in May 2012 I noticed that my little boy was limping and when I picked him up to check his feet, I found an open sore on his left front paw just at the bottom of the toe pad. It looked nothing awkward or horrible. It was just what appeared to be an simple sore, as if he caught it on a nail, though he never went outside. Our veterinarian seriously thought it was a spider bite. That was certainly feasible. However, as it was being treated per directions from our vet with bacterial ointment and fresh bandages, it didn't seem to get better. In fact, it got worse, ugly and pussy looking. Our veterinarian still swore it was a spider bite. After all, what else could it be, right? But the sore didn't seem to heal and then, it spread to two toes and began to turn black, which I knew wasn't a good thing. 
        
Image result for toe xray feline-lung digit disease       X-ray for the toes.      
The spider bite diagnosis just didn't sit right with me. Something was tugging at me. Something told me that it was something else. Hence, I was driven by curiosity to find out what else it could be. As I did some research, I ran into something called Feline Lung-Digit Lung Disease. It scared the hell out of me and something told me to check this out just in case and exactly what I intended to do. 
                          Charlie at beginning with bandaged sore.      But first, what is it? In simple terms, a cat develops a tumor in his lung and for some strange reason it manifests in a paw. There is no warning sign. That is the warning sign. There is no lack of appetite or coughing accompanying it. There was no rapid breathing. Nothing out of the normal happened to Charlies except for the sore that wouldn't heal. When I mentioned what I had found to my vet the next day, he shook his head because he had never heard of it, and when I asked for an X-ray to check Charlie's lungs, he didn't hesitate. By this time, he knew that we knew and cared about animals, especially ours. We were responsible, caring owners. Sure enough when we did the X-ray, we found a large tumor in Charlie's lung. 

Needless to say, we were both floored. I was floored because I was right and saddened by it. The vet was floored because he had never heard of it but there it was with the corresponding sore on Charlie's paw to confirm it. What on earth was this? How did this happen? I had found very little on this ailment to begin with and most of what I did find was from the United Kingdom. Our veterinarian also found next to nothing. As it turned out, the prognosis wasn't good. 

Charlie was 14 and a happy cat, but to put him through iffy treatment that may not work. I couldn't do it. We opted for pallative care instead. A week or so after the X-ray, the sore spread to two toes and the toes had to be amputated to prevent further infection. Fortunately, the minor surgery didn't harm him. In fact, he seemed to rebound, albeit for a short time. The pathology on the removed toes found nothing. Of course not, because the cancer was in the lungs.  Through the rest of it, Charlie was a trooper. He never whined or pitied himself. He ate and drank well. He used the litter box. He was loved until the end. 
                                Charlie after the toe amputation.       Less than two months from discovering the sore on his paw, Charlie failed fast and had to be put to sleep. We buried him in our backyard. To this day, I can not locate any more specific related information on this cancer metastasis. That is why I decided to share what I learned and lived through with you. I hope you never have to go through this. Ever. As I said, there isn't much information out there about this cancer sign, but if you find anything else, I'd love to know. Below, I've shared some of the sites I located to post this blog page. Again, I hope no one else and I hope no other cat has to go through this. If you find your cat is diagnosed with this horrible cancer, celebrate your cats' life now with him/her. Give him/her all the love you can. Talk to him/her every minute you have together. Make him/her comfortable. Support your cat. Emulate your cat. They don't feel pity. Be strong for your cat. D.H. Lawrence said it best, "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." Your cat doesn't feel sorry for itself. Don't let your cat feel or know you feel sorry for it. 

    Charlie watched over by his older sister, Princess. She couldn't stand him, but is obviously concerned. When he died, she yowled every night until her death on 3/18/16 from a lung infection. 

    From Medscape.com      

Feline lung-digit syndrome: unusual metastatic patterns of primary lung tumours in cats.

J Feline Med Surg.  2012; 14(3):202-8 (ISSN: 1532-2750)

Goldfinch N; Argyle DJ
PRACTICAL RELEVANCE: Feline 'lung-digit syndrome' describes an unusual pattern of metastasis that is seen with various types of primary lung tumours, particularly bronchial and bronchioalveolar adenocarcinoma. Tumour metastases are found at atypical sites, notably the distal phalanges of the limbs; the weightbearing digits are most frequently affected, and multiple-digit and multiple-limb involvement is common. Often primary lung tumours in cats are not detected because of clinical signs referable to the primary tumour; rather, many cases present with signs referable to distant metastases. Other sites of metastases from feline primary lung tumours include the skin, eyes, skeletal muscle and bone, as well as multiple thoracic and abdominal organs. These lesions are thought to arise from direct arterial embolisation from the tumour. Indeed tumour embolisation to the aortic trifurcation is possible.
PATIENT GROUP: Primary lung neoplasms are uncommon in the cat. Older animals are most affected (mean age at presentation 12 years, range 2-20 years). There is no apparent sex or breed predilection.
CLINICAL CHALLENGES: Feline lung-digit syndrome presents a diagnostic challenge. Typically there is swelling and reddening of the digit, purulent discharge from the nail bed, and dysplasia or fixed exsheathment of the associated nail. While these signs might be suggestive of infection, this could be secondary to a digital metastatic lesion, particularly in a middle-aged or elderly cat. Radiographic evidence of extensive bony lysis of the distal phalanx, which can be trans-articular to the second phalanx, raises the index of clinical suspicion for metastasis of a primary pulmonary tumour. Thoracic radiography is warranted prior to any surgery or digital amputation as the prognosis is generally grave for cats with this syndrome, with a mean survival time of only 58 days after presentation.
EVIDENCE BASE: This article reviews the previous literature and case reports of feline lung-digit syndrome and feline primary pulmonary neoplasia in general, discussing the course of this disease and the varying clinical presentations associated with different sites of metastasis.


For more information about this insidious disease: 
     New links will be added as I find them. Please feel free to send me a link not listed. Thank you.
    as of 6/1/19: 
(NOTE: this first one leads to another site where you can download the PDF of it. As of this writing, you don't have to join the site to download it) 
     https://www.researchgate.net/publication/261351400_The_lung-digit_syndrome_in_a_cat


     (NOTE to access the below one you will have to pay to join or purchase the article. Not my cup of tea.)



        https://wagwalking.com/cat/condition/skin-and-toe-cancer



      https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2019/03/13/feline-toe-biopsy-reveals-a-bigger-problem/



    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/lung-digit-syndrome-cancer.69627/













For more information about lung cancer in cats:
As of 6/1/19: New links will be added as I find them. Please feel free to send me a link not listed. Thank you.


     https://todaysveterinarypractice.com/consider-this-casesenior-cat-with-front-paw-swelling-pain/



   http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1098612X12439267











Thanks for visiting my blog for the animals. It's always great to connect with another animal lover. If you and I don't speak up for them, who will? 

POTW feature
Coins That Count: 
Is your coin jar overflowing? Turn that loose change into cash that helps animals by donating to The HSUS at participating Coinstar machines nationwide. Where to go» Find a Kiosk near you...

                                             
Until next time….hug your animals. Tell them you love them. If you don’t have a pet, adopt one. Make adoption your first option when seeking a pet. Adopt. Don’t shop. Can’t adopt. Please consider fostering one. The animal will have the taste of home and the shelter will cover the expenses. Can’t foster? Make a donation or volunteer at your local shelter. Please, don’t hunt. Unless you’re starving down in a ditch somewhere, there is no logical reason to do so. Whatever you do, however you do it, please be a voice for the animals large and small. All it takes is one to make a difference, good or bad.
    FYI: To find an animal in need of a home; to find an animal shelter near you, check out www.petfinder.com
                                     
Together, you and I can make a difference in an animal's life.  I’m one for the animals. Are you? Thanks for visiting. Stay safe. Be strong. Be happy. Smile. Show compassion. Be nice to one another. Pass it onward. If you like what you see here, please consider signing up to become a follower. Please feel free to share this post with others.
                                 
    Regards,
    S.J. Francis
    In Shattered Lies: "Good and bad, it's All About Family."  Available now from Black Opal Books and for sale at on-line retailers and independent booksellers.
   “Some secrets should remain that way.” 
      My Black Opal Books Author Page:
            http://www.blackopalbooks.com/author-bios/bio-sj-francis

                 My web page: http://www.sjfranciswriter.com

                                     Twitter: https://twitter.com/sjfrancis419

FYI: To find an animal in need of a home; to find an animal shelter near you, check out www.petfinder.com

 Facebook fan page:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/SJ-Francis/480058115420325
                  My writing Blog: http://sjfranciswriter.blogspot.com
                                 
                   

         A Book Review 4 U: http://abookreview4u.blogspot.com

                  A Consumer's View: http://aconsumersview.blogspot.com

And now for some legal stuff: Copyright 2017 by S.J. Francis. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the author, S. J. Francis and are meant to entertain, inform and enlighten, and intend to offend no one.
                                                        
 FYI: To find an animal in need of a home; to find an animal shelter near you, check out www.petfinder.com
                                                                                                           

19 comments:

  1. I found out yesterday my cat also has lung-digit syndrome. It was only the 2nd time my vet had ever seen it.

    Over time, he's lost weight and he sleeps a lot and my vet estimates he has about a month to live.

    You can imagine we're a pretty sad household right now. Lots of good memories with that cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment! I'm so so sorry to hear about your cat's diagnosis. Give him all the love you can, make him comfortable, support your cat. Don't let him see/hear you or anyone else cry. Emulate your cat. I send you my best wishes from cat owner to another. Right now we're reeling with another cancer diagnosis on the senior rescue cat we adopted almost three years ago. This time it is an ear wax tumor. We're so sad, again.....

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this information. Sadly, I lost my Max to this just three days ago, 11 days after his ninth birthday. Both "middle finger" digits on his front paws fell victim to this, as well as although with no visible ulcers, they gradually crippled his back legs. The cancer was found behind his lung. Once the digit signs were fully evident and we took him to the vet (he'd increasingly been walking lightly for a few weeks prior, but not at all limping at the time), the process took him just over a month to where we knew his meds were no longer effective and we needed to let go of him. From the reading I've done and the vet's knowledge, Max was a rare case with both front paws affected. I miss him immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thanks for taking the time to stop by and make a comment. I'm so so sorry for the loss of you Max. This is a very devastating disease, symptom, as you well know. I could never have imagined anything like it. Who would have thought a sore on a cat's feet would indicate lung cancer. I wish you strength. As time goes by, you'll grow stronger over your loss. Regards, SJ Francis

      Delete
    2. My beautiful 16 year old was diagnosed today. Two weeks ago he was climbing, scratching and happy. Today three paws are affected and I am hoping palliative care will allow him to enjoy what little time he has left. Apparently that’s all one can do. I am devastated. This is my oldest and the sweetest, most handsome red head ever.

      Delete
    3. I'm so sorry to hear about the terrible diagnosis. Because it was already long gone by time the diagnosis was made, we also opted for palliative care with our Charlie. He lasted for two months being his happy self. He is my hero. Be strong. Imitate your sweet read head's strength and tell him how much you love him. And when the end is near, hold him and let him know that it is all right to go. It's difficult, I know, but remember the good times you shared and hold them dear. Hold him dear. I send you and your sweet cat hugs and strength...

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your post. My 14 y/o kitty was diagnosed with this just a few days ago. I am absolutely heartbroken. I have read almost every article that I could find on the web. As you know most of them are very medical/scientific. Your blog has been the most helpful to me so far, and I am grateful for the information you provided in it. I am so sorry that you went through this with Charlie (and I am sorry to read about another cancer diagnosis in your other kitty in someone's previous comment here). I am hoping to still having a good while with my cat before she has to go, but of course preparing for the worst. This is such a terrible disease and my heart breaks for anyone who has had to or is dealing with it. I'm doing my best to be strong for my furry friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shawyn. i'm so sorry to hear the bad news about your kitty. This isn't easy. I know that. I'm so glad my blog post here helped you understand this hoffific diagnosis. I still miss Charlie after seven years, and I miss my other senior cat, Oreo whom I just lost on June 21, 2019 due to Cancer of the ear glands. Cancer is supposed to be rare in cats. That obviously isn't true. I wish you a long time with your cat. In the meantime, cherish you time together. Cuddle with her. talk to her. Love her and most importantly, be strong for her. Don't cry in front of her. Emulate her strength. Oscar Wilde said it best "I've never seen a wild thing feel pity for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead out a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." May I add that I've never seen an animal ever feel pity for itself. I wish you well....

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Oreo. My kitty is still with me, but I fear the end is coming soon because of some new symptoms that have developed in the last 24 hours. Anyway, thank you again for your post and message. I really appreciate. Sending good energy your way as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawyn Lee, Thank you for your condolences over our loss of Oreo. I'm so sorry to hear about the coming end for your kitty. Be strong. Imitate your sweet kitty's strength and tell her how much you love her. And when the end is near, hold her and let her know that it is all right to go. It's difficult, I know, but remember the good times you shared and hold them dear. Hold her dear. I send you and your sweet cat hugs and strength...

      Delete
  5. I lost my little friend Frodo 17 months ago to this same syndrome. Unlike some of the posts here, I had to euthanize him upon diagnosis because he had stopped eating and drinking, was in obvious pain, and I felt trying to prolong his time on Earth would only be extending his misery.

    Not a day goes by when I don't think of him...he was a wonderful little fellow and I can only hope and believe that one day I'll see him again...thanks so much for providing this site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for your loss. Never doubt that you did the right thing for Frodo. Once your fur baby stop eating and drinking, there isn't much else to do, especially if he is obvious in pain. Think of the great times you shared with Frodo.I never forget my little Charlie. When you are able to move on, please consider adopting another cat, perhaps a mature one. There are so many animals in need of a loving home. When I lost Charlie, and then Princess, I adopted a senior named Oreo. Unfortunately, we just lost her to ear gland cancer. Stay strong.I'm glad you found this site and that it was helpful to you. That was my goal.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your story. My 17.5 year old cat Max was just diagnosed with this yesterday. She started limping about 4 days ago, and we've obviously opted not to do any treatment due to her age.
    She is fading rapidly, she went from hiding in the closet Thursday when I got home from work to now she's just laying on a blanket that I have for her in the living room. I'd like to think she feels safe to not hide because she knows that I'm keeping the other two cats from bothering her. She has an appointment tomorrow morning for a vet to come to the house and help her pass.
    I'm just so terrified she'll get to a place where she's in pain or afraid and she can't I get up and go anywhere on her own anymore. I can't get over how fast she declined just a week ago she was climbing the stairs and seemed perfectly fine.
    I think that is what is so Insidious about this particular cancer, is that there are no respiratory symptoms and therefore it's metastasized quite a bit by the time they're limping.
    I Echo the sentiments of another commenter who said that all the Articles they found were very clinical and yours was very helpful. My veterinarian had never seen a case of it she'd only read about it.
    I'm keeping Max comfortable and been sleeping downstairs with her, thank you again for your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just lost my sweet little 12 1/2 year old cat to this. She coughed a few times a week for about two months. We (and vet) thought it was dry air or asthma. Humidifiers seemed to help. After about 2 months she started limping a bit, wasn't eating as much, lost weight, hiding, and sleeping alot. She was treated with pain meds for what the vet thought was arthritis. Didn't think it was related to the cough at all - neither did the vets. In a matter of days her foot swelled and she developed some sores on paw and toes that doubled in size in 48 hours. Xray confirmed lung tumor and tumors in her foot. Vet was aware of lung-digit but didn't suspect it til her foor swelled. It was so quick- which was shocking but I'm glad she didn't suffer long. She was only noticeably sick for about 2 weeks. I always think these stories online are dramatic and I try not to read them and worry- but now the dramatic story is my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad to hear your cat didn't suffer long. This is such a horrible disease, cancer and the way it manifests in our cats. I couldn't even have imagined something like this. May you find comfort in your memories you shared. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your comment.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for writing this. My beautiful orange long haired kitty Ollie passed away two days ago from this. Here is my story: he started coughing and was doing so for about a month or two. And swallowing hard and drooling a bit more. Diagnosed with asthma since they saw a spot on his lung, but I believe that was a tumor. Then stopped eating and drinking so he was put on prednisone. A week later he began limping and the same day one of his pupils was dilated. I think this is when the tumors spread to his paw and brain. He lasted 3 weeks after he began limping. He was put on 4 antibiotics and none of them worked. He only got worse and worse. He had better eating and drinking days which gave me hope, but that could’ve been the prednisone. He began drooling a ton, and he had facial paralysis due to a neurological issue which I believed were tumors in his head as well. I opted not to do an MRI to confirm cancer because my vet bills had already racked up to $2000 and it cost another $2000 just to get that confirmation through an MRI. I soaked up every cuddle, hug and kiss from my sweet boy while he was essentially dying from this horrible disease. I didn’t know he had this disease until he was gone when I put all the pieces together. His vet had never heard of it but an ER doctor had mentioned it. Because of his asthma misdiagnosis, it was hard to say Lung-Digit until another ER doctor saw the X-ray and suggested that it could be a lung tumor. That plus the paw tumor (we thought was an infection) plus his neurological issues. His last night he was strangely growling and had a seizure. His paw was bleeding because he must’ve gripped the carpet during the seizure. He was suffering too much at that point and I knew that the cancer had taken his whole body at that point so I had to let him go. My sweet boy was just 11 years old. Two months from turned 12. He lived 1.5 months after his first vet visit for the cough. He had 9 vet visits in that short time. I’m obviously devastated by losing him, but I feel a small sense of peace knowing what he died from and knowing I did everything I could to save him. I savored all of our last moments together. And I will always treasure all of the memories we shared. He will always live on in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah! I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Your comment made me cry remembering how much my Charlie went through and your baby boy. Take comfort in the memories, the cuddles and his love. I know it isn't eay. But when it is time, go to a shelter and find another cat in need of love and a forever home in and adopt in honor of Ollie. You'll do a great thing for another homeless cat and Ollie will live with you always. Again, I'm so very sorry for your loss and thanks so much for sharing your story with others so we know we are not alone in this horrible disease.

      Delete
  9. My sweet baby girl (she’s 17) was diagnosed with it right before Thanksgiving. She goes to a feline specialist, so the vet knew exactly what was wrong. She had been doing fairly well up until two weeks ago when her claw became separated from the bone. The vet removed the claw, but the sore would never heal and the tumor seemed to be worse. We opted for surgery. This past Friday, she had the second toe on her back paw amputated and the vet thinks he managed to remove the tumor. I have had her since she was 6 months old. Not only does she have this, but she also has pancreatitis, high blood pressure, and stage 3 kidney failure. She is a trooper. She has slowed down a lot, and I know it is only a matter of time before I have to let her go. This is doubly hard because I just lost my mother right after Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Terri, First allow my to express my condolences on the loss of your mother. Second, I'm so sorry to hear of your baby girl's diagnosis. I know how difficult this it, but be strong for her. Love her and do right by her. I send you and your baby girls, hugs and strength and my prayers. Just keep telling your fur baby how much you love her, forever. And when the end does come, and when some time has passed to move on, adopt another fur baby in honor of your baby and give her the love, forever home you gave your lost baby. my best to you and your baby girl...hang in there....SJ

      Delete