Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Read heartfelt stories of rescue From the Animal Rescue Site....

A note from SJ Francis: 2.7 million homeless pets are killed, murdered, put to sleep, gassed or euthanized everyday in the USA. Those are the ones accounted for: the ones we know about. Fortunately, not all the animals are killed. Some actually have happy endings. Here are a few. Mine included. My latest adoption was a senior cat:

Our Oreo Cookie 

    We adopted Oreo just over 14 months ago from a No-Kill shelter in Jackson, Mississippi. We were told she was 10 years old. That didn't matter to us. A few months before, we had lost our 21 1/2 year old kitty named Princess. In honor of her, we decided to adopt another senior cat. Oreo had been living in the shelter for four years. Sadly, senior animals are the first ones to get tagged for euthanizing along with the ill and very young pets.  Fortunately, Oreo lived in a cattery instead of a cage. Unfortunately, she wasn't very well taken care of. She was just one out of 166 cats in this cattery and neglect was obvious. When I picked her up in my arms, she was haggard with squinting eyes. She didn't look anything like her photo on the shelter website and, as it turns out she wasn't 10. (She was actually 15 or 16.) 
Anyway, she licked my hand and purred. That sealed the deal for us. We took her home. She had diarrhea from day one and gook in her eyes. We quickly discovered that the diarrhea was from an allergy to grains and not from relocating. Her squinting eyes and gunk in them was from an Upper respiratory infection. On top of that she had untreated thyroid disease. Since regular visits to our veterinarian, she's recovered from the URI, is on thyroid medication and is eating grain-free food. Most importantly, she's getting all the love and attention she didn't get in the shelter. She isn't neglected here. Over a year later, Oreo now walks around the house with a determined gait and has wide bright eyes. She loves food, especially canned tuna and, yes, she's spoiled now. She sneezes a lot from allergies, but no more diarrhea. She fits in with two large dogs and two young cats and they fit in with her. We hope to have many more years with her and her with us. She's our Oreo cookie and we're so glad to have given a senior kitty a home and family to call her own. We're very honored that she let us adopt her. Adopt a senior pet. They're the best. 
My Dizzy Desi
Thirteen years ago I was going through a divorce, moving out of my home and into a condo, all of which was not what I wanted. The thought of living all alone was devastating. I decided to start searching for a dog and I had specifics in mind. My trip to the local county animal service facility turned out perfect. There she was a little thing who had just been surrendered from less than perfect owners. The shelter techs had shaved off all of her matts and bathed her, probably something that had never happened in her previous 2 years, so here laid shivering this little pink body that was underweight. I took her into the get acquainted room and looked at this poor little thing and started crying for her and myself. She jumped up into my lap and kissed away my tears. I made her a promise that day that she would never again be hungry or have a bad hair day and she promised to be my best friend. We had trials for the first year as she had never been housebroke and didn't even know the basic "no". We made it though those tough times. Now she is 15 and has really slowed down, suffers from arthritis, is hard of hearing and her sight is diminished but I still love this little girl with all my heart. We saved each other that day so long ago.

No Place For A Kitten!

I first saw Eloise as I was driving through a fast-food restaurant for coffee on the way to work. Something darted in front of the car next to mine and leaped into the grassy median. It was a tiny tabby kitten with most beautiful green eyes I had ever seen! Judging from her clean, well-fed appearance, it was obvious she had just been abandoned - and just didn't know it yet. I didn't have time to stop, but the image of that helpless kitten stayed with me all day. After work, I went back to the restaurant to look for her, in vain. I guessed (hoped) that someone else had picked her up. Another week went by, and suddenly there she was again, scampering in front of my car! I began to leave food for her near the recycling bins, but she would never let me get closer than a few feet.
Finally I knew I had to get serious. A restaurant parking lot is no place for a kitten! I rented a trap from the animal shelter, taped on my phone number and baited it with a plate of tuna. Within a few hours, I got a call from the restaurant manager: "Come and get this cat right now!" I took her straight to the vet, who pronounced her "about four months old, very robust and very FERAL." They suggested it would likely take months to tame her. The first two days she hid and wouldn't come out. Then she would come out when I brought food, but kept a wary eye on me. The next few days, I lured her with a "fishing pole" toy; she'd chase it, but never come near. On day nine, when I came in with her food, she didn't run away! Slowly I knelt down and reached out a hand. She crept a little closer, and suddenly I was touching her. Within minutes, she was purring; the sweetest sound I'd ever heard!
Eloise has been with me for a month and a half and is the most loving cat I have ever known.

The Dog I Never Wanted - Buddy

 My husband and I have always had dogs and cats. Usually 2 dogs and 4 to 6 cats in the household. In early February 2015 we lost our female dog, Gwennie, she had a tumor in her abdomen. Then in late March, we lost Artie our male to another tumor in his abdomen. We decided we would not get another dog. "They just tie you down". June comes along and I have to have another dog to fill the aching.
Off to the internet and shelters to find my dog. 3 criteria: must be black or white, long hair, no pit bull. As I walk through the barking dogs of the shelter I hear a whimper. I finally get to the cage and here is a light brown, short haired, pit bull mix. I kneel down and talk to him and he comes right up to my face. I pet him under the chin and a volunteer comes by to see if I would like to give him a treat. "Yeah, sure". I stick it through the fencing and he sticks his tongue out and takes the treat! Shocking! We end up going outside and he jumps all over me giving me kisses every time he gets back from running around. OK, now he has me.
I talk to the volunteer and am told I have to wait 10 days since he was just brought in the night before. I call every single day to see if he has been claimed. Finally on day 10, I am waiting for him with leash in hand. My husband does not know what I have chosen and is shocked to see "the dog I never wanted" come in the door.
He is one the the most well behaved babies I have had. He sleeps under the covers with us. Only barks when he hears something unusual. Still full of kisses free to all who will pet him. He is spoiled rotten. Gets anything he wants. And he is exactly how we trained him to be!!

My BFF Sammy


Wander (14) on the left and Sammy (7 1/2) are both kitten rescues. Wander from a Walmart parking lot (she was left in the bed of my husband's truck) and six years later after our other cat Kitty passed, Sammy from a local pet store helping the local shelter. Wander is very laid back, has learned to tolerate her younger brother and just loves my husband (well, I do too!). Wander is either in constant motion or a complete stop, is very protective of his big sister (whether she wants it or not) and just loves me (as does my husband). We live in the country and have a cat door so we constantly receive presents, which luckily are deposited in our bathroom or tub. In 2014, I experienced some medical problems due to stress/menopause and Sammy became very good at helping me de-stress as he loves to be petted/brushed/played with/cuddled with CONSTANTLY.
On March 8, 2017, it seemed to be a normal evening as our cats follow us around the yard while we're doing our chores. When I returned from being inside, Sammy was crouched near the house and growling. Thought it was a neighbor's cat bothering him but when he tried to walk, his back legs were paralyzed. After discovering his feet were cold, it was off to the emergency vet. A blood clot blocked the flow to his quarters and unfortunately, nothing could be done. I lost my best buddy that night and miss him so very much.
We are so very grateful that we were home that night and that Sammy was close the house so he could be sent over the rainbow bridge quickly and painlessly.
As my bumper sticker reads, RESCUES ARE MY FAVORITE BREED.


Dog Was Locked In A Crate In An Abandoned Home For 2 Weeks. Then, His Hero Showed Up


A dog was abandoned inside a vacant house for at least two weeks, trapped inside a crate with no food or water, living in his own waste.
Thankfully, a man named Ramon Rodriguez made his way in the Philadelphia home, which was left behind by addicts, and saw the poor pit bull. Rodriguez opened the cage, and the dog did nothing but lick him.
Rodriguez had received the tip about the dog the day before; he’s well-known around town for saving many different types of animals, all whom have been abused or abandoned. He has taken many of those animals into his home to live with him while he cares for them.
The pit bull, now named Diesel, is healthy and doing well. Rodriguez is hoping to find him a loving forever home so he never has to go through that ever again.
Diesel is currently being evaluated by the Pennsylvania SPCA and once they get the ok, he will be put up for adoption.



I had been begging my mom for a cat for months. But I was emotionally unstable for awhile and we were having issues with our dogs. When the one dog passed away and I was in a better state mentally my mom finally decided I was allowed to get a cat. I swore he would be a short haired black kitten so I could name him after Marilyn Manson. After searching online I found this 1 year old small fluffy boy named Gage. He has severe allergies, was returned to foster care from his last home because he's too needy, and was just waiting to find someone who wouldn't give up on him. He wasn't even close to what I wanted but I saw those eyes and knew I had to have him. Almost a month later he finally came home with me weighing 7 pounds and being shy, I renamed him Manson. He rules the house now, is 13 pounds, and is a total mamas boy. His allergies have all but cleared and I believe the skin issues were from stress mainly not allergens. Him and I have a unique connection mentally, he knows my moods and mood swings and helps the best he can...he is my best friend. Sometimes the best things in life aren't exactly what you expected!!! Adopt don't shop!


George The Caribbean Yard Dog

I am from NJ but have been living on a small Caribbean island called Nevis for 4 years. I volunteer at the perhaps the world's smallest no kill shelter called CARE Nevis. Before Thanksgiving 2014, my four dogs were barking up a storm inside the house. I looked at front to see a ghost skeleton of this little dog. You could practically see his organs, he was missing many patches of fur due to ringworm and was very anemic. After feeding him beef liver, sardines and rice in small portions 5 times a day, George has come to live and more than doubled his weight. We guessed he was about 4 months old but due to his anorexia, he was actually about a year old. Now he sleeps on a tempurpedic mattress at night and loves to swim. He will be coming home to continue living with us and his brothers in NJ this Spring.
Taylor Allen
Barnaby, Saint Kitts and Nevis


Nine Tiny Puppies Were Hiding Out Alone In A Cave. Their Rescue Is Absolutely Nail-Biting!

Volunteers from Hope For Paws received a call about a litter of eight puppies who were living outside in little caves. They went to the location right away to save them. Their mother was nowhere to be found, so they knew they had to rescue these pups as soon as possible.
Once they spotted the puppies, they used a cheeseburger to try and coax them out from under the cave. They were quick to eat the food because they were most likely starving and hadn’t eaten much in a while.
Puppy6
Lisa Arturo, one of the volunteers, reached out and pet them. Then she was able to grab puppy #1 and hold him on her lap. Unfortunately, something spooked the rest of the puppies, and they scattered back deep into the cave.
They had no choice but to go in and get them. The pups had taken a sharp left turn and crawled deeper in, so getting them would be no easy task. The volunteer couldn’t reach in any farther, so he had to use his gentle snare. One by one, he was able to gently pull each puppy out as they let out heart-breaking cries. This was the first time these puppies had even felt human touch, so they were certainly very scared. But as Lisa pet them more and more, they calmed down and were less afraid.
PuppyCave3
He finally got all eight of the puppies but crawled back into the cave to make sure there were no more. That’s when he heard sounds and saw one more puppy! The ninth puppy was much smaller than the rest and must’ve been the runt of the litter. He got a hold of him and brought him to safety.
All of the puppies are now safe and are up for adoption! Thank goodness for these brave rescuers who worked hard for a long time to save these babies!
To see the video of the rescue, click here: https://youtu.be/Q6At7vqiA_A
Their friend Lisa M. Ashe had passed away, so to honor her, they named a puppy starting with each letter in her name.
To adopt Luke, Mary, Isaac or Ezekiel, please contact: The Dog Rescuers at http://www.thedogrescuers.com/
To adopt Abraham, Sarah, Solomon, Angel or Heaven, please contact: Love Joy Foundation at http://www.lovejoyfoundation.org/
Copyright 2017 The Animal Rescue Site.
Do you have a rescue story you'd like to share. I'd love to hear about it here. Feel free to comment as long or as short as you'd like. Thank you.
FYI: To find an animal in need of a home; to find an animal shelter near you, check out  https://www.petfinder.com


Want to help out shelter animals without spending a dime?

Answer a question daily for dogs and cats and kibble is donated to feed them. Right or wrong, the answer doesn't matter. 

Click on   www.freekibble.com/litter   and help give litter for cats.

Another way to help feed shelter animals without spending a dime is to visit and click the big purple box at:



Thanks for visiting my blog for the animals. It's always great to connect with another animal lover. If you and I don't speak up for them, who will? 

   POTW feature    Coins That Count: 
Is your coin jar overflowing? Turn that loose change into cash that helps animals by donating to The HSUS at participating Coinstar machines nationwide. Where to go» Find a Kiosk near you...
     https://www.coinstar.com/kioskfinder?element=Charity&parmName=HumaneSocietyofUS
                                         
Until next time….hug your animals. Tell them you love them. If you don’t have a pet, adopt one. Make adoption your first option when seeking a pet. Adopt. Don’t shop. Can’t adopt. Please consider fostering one. The animal will have the taste of home and the shelter will cover the expenses. Can’t foster? Make a donation or volunteer at your local shelter. Please, don’t hunt. Unless you’re starving down in a ditch somewhere, there is no logical reason to do so. Whatever you do, however you do it, please be a voice for the animals large and small. All it takes is one to make a difference, good or bad. 
Did U know rabbits are third most abandoned animal after dogs and cats? 
FYI: To find an animal in need of a home; to find an animal shelter near you, check out  https://www.petfinder.com

                                               
                                                     
Together, you and I can make a difference in an animal's life.  I’m one for the animals. All animals. Large and small. Domesticated and wildlife. Are you? Thanks for visiting. Stay safe. Be strong. Be happy. Smile. Show compassion. Be nice to one another. Pass it onward. If you like what you see here, please consider signing up to become a follower. Please feel free to share this post with others. 
    Regards,
    S.J. Francis
    In Shattered Lies: "Good and bad, it's All About Family."  Available now from Black Opal Books and for sale at on-line retailers and independent booksellers. "Some secrets should remain that way."
    Writing is my Passion, but animals are my world.
  
      My Black Opal Books Author Page:
           I couldn't imagine my house without pets in it. Many pets.~S.J. Francis

                 My web page:  http://www.sjfranciswriter.com
                                     Twitter: https://twitter.com/sjfrancis419 

  Facebook fan page:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/SJ-Francis/480058115420325
                  My writing Blog: http://sjfranciswriter.blogspot.com
          A Book Review 4 U: http://abookreview4u.blogspot.com
                  A Consumer's View: http://aconsumersview.blogspot.com


And now for some legal stuff: Copyright 2017 by S.J. Francis. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the author, S. J. Francis and are meant to entertain, inform and enlighten, and intend to offend no one.

FYI: To find an animal in need of a home; to find an animal shelter near you, check out  https://www.petfinder.com


Remember, all types, ages, breeds, even purebreds are waiting to be adopted.

  

Remember: Animals don't have voices. We must be their voice. Always. Forever. Wherever. Whenever. I'm one for the animals. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment